A Brief History

 

 

   Broadwaters Methodist Chapel

        as it was for our Centenary in 1959.

  

 

 

 

   

    Excerpts from the journal of John Wesley (the founder of Methodism):

 

    27/8/1760

 

    "We breakfasted at Newport (Shropshire), where, finding our horses begin to fail, we 

    thought it best to take the Birmingham road, that if they should fail us altogether, we might

    stay among our friends.  But they would go no further than Wolverhampton; so we hired

    fresh horses there, and immediately set out for Worcester.  But one of them soon after fell,

    and gave me such a shock, (though I did not quit my seat,) that I was seized with a violent

    bleeding at the noses, which nothing we could apply would stop.  So we were obliged to go

    a foot pace for two miles, and then to stay at Broadwater.

 

    28/8/1760

 

    Soon after we set out the other horse fell lame. An honest man at Worcester found this was    

    owing to a bad shoe.  A smith cured this by a new shoe; but at the same time, by paring the

    hoof too close, he effectively lamed the other foot, so that we had hard work to reach

    Gloucestershire."

 

 

1/11/1859

Mr Thomas Jones surrendered 118 square yards, part of land called Forge Piece, to the use of John Porter and George Porter (both Methodist preachers) for 5 18s 0d.

23/7/1860

A conveyance of land took place by Reverend John Porter to the Trustees of the Primitive Methodist Connexion at Broadwaters.

9/11/1886

On Sunday evening, 9/11/1886, a census of worshippers in Kidderminster took place.  Out of a total of 5,883 people (or approx. 21% of the population) who worshipped in the Kidderminster area that evening, 49 people attended a service at Broadwaters.

18/1/1889

There was a Deed of Covenant  to surrender a piece of copyhold land by Mr John Nicholls to the Trustees.

2/12/1891

Surrender under the will of John Nicholls decd. of a piece of land called the Forge Piece and admittance of W. Chas. Moore (ironworker) at a sum of 10.

26/5/1894

New Trustees were appointed, the first since 23/7/1860.

3/4/1895

An Equitable Mortgage was executed between the Trustees and the Primitive Methodist Chapel Aid Association, to secure 140, repayable by yearly instalments of 5 10s 0d on 20/3.

1/6/1932

New Trustees were appointed the first since 26/5/1894.

28/5/1943

Declaration by Trustees adopting New Model Deed pursuant to S.17 of Methodist Church Union Act 1929.

21/4/1952

New Trustees were appointed, the first since 1/6/1932.

2/11/1959

The Joseph Rank Benevolent Trust agreed to make a grant of 1,000 towards the chapel extension.

10/11/1959

102 square yards previously to be sold by W Butler & Co to the Church now being given (apart from legal fees.)

10/11/1959

1959 New Trustees were appointed, the first since 21/4/1952.

1/11/1859

Mr Thomas Jones surrendered 118 square yards, part of land called Forge Piece, to the use of John Porter and George Porter (both Methodist preachers) for 5 18s 0d.

23/7/1860

A conveyance of land took place by Reverend John Porter to the Trustees of the Primitive Methodist Connexion at Broadwaters.

9/11/1886

On Sunday evening, 9/11/1886, a census of worshippers in Kidderminster took place.  Out of a total of 5,883 people (or approx. 21% of the population) who worshipped in the Kidderminster area that evening, 49 people attended a service at Broadwaters.

18/1/1889

There was a Deed of Covenant  to surrender a piece of copyhold land by Mr John Nicholls to the Trustees.

2/12/1891

Surrender under the will of John Nicholls decd. of a piece of land called the Forge Piece and admittance of W. Chas. Moore (ironworker) at a sum of 10.

26/5/1894

New Trustees were appointed, the first since 23/7/1860.

3/4/1895

An Equitable Mortgage was executed between the Trustees and the Primitive Methodist Chapel Aid Association, to secure 140, repayable by yearly instalments of 5 10s 0d on 20/3.

1/6/1932

New Trustees were appointed the first since 26/5/1894.

28/5/1943

Declaration by Trustees adopting New Model Deed pursuant to S.17 of Methodist Church Union Act 1929.

21/4/1952

New Trustees were appointed, the first since 1/6/1932.

2/11/1959

The Joseph Rank Benevolent Trust agreed to make a grant of 1,000 towards the chapel extension.

10/11/1959

102 square yards previously to be sold by W Butler & Co to the Church now being given (apart from legal fees.)

10/11/1959

1959 New Trustees were appointed, the first since 21/4/1952.

1/11/1859

Mr Thomas Jones surrendered 118 square yards, part of land called Forge Piece, to the use of John Porter and George Porter (both Methodist preachers) for 5 18s 0d.

23/7/1860

A conveyance of land took place by Reverend John Porter to the Trustees of the Primitive Methodist Connexion at Broadwaters.

9/11/1886

On Sunday evening, 9/11/1886, a census of worshippers in Kidderminster took place.  Out of a total of 5,883 people (or approx. 21% of the population) who worshipped in the Kidderminster area that evening, 49 people attended a service at Broadwaters.

18/1/1889

There was a Deed of Covenant  to surrender a piece of copyhold land by Mr John Nicholls to the Trustees.

2/12/1891

Surrender under the will of John Nicholls decd. of a piece of land called the Forge Piece and admittance of W. Chas. Moore (ironworker) at a sum of 10.

26/5/1894

New Trustees were appointed, the first since 23/7/1860.

3/4/1895

An Equitable Mortgage was executed between the Trustees and the Primitive Methodist Chapel Aid Association, to secure 140, repayable by yearly instalments of 5 10s 0d on 20/3.

1/6/1932

New Trustees were appointed the first since 26/5/1894.

28/5/1943

Declaration by Trustees adopting New Model Deed pursuant to S.17 of Methodist Church Union Act 1929.

21/4/1952

New Trustees were appointed, the first since 1/6/1932.

2/11/1959

The Joseph Rank Benevolent Trust agreed to make a grant of 1,000 towards the chapel extension.

10/11/1959

102 square yards previously to be sold by W Butler & Co to the Church now being given (apart from legal fees.)

10/11/1959

1959 New Trustees were appointed, the first since 21/4/1952.

1/11/1859

Mr Thomas Jones surrendered 118 square yards, part of land called Forge Piece, to the use of John Porter and George Porter (both Methodist preachers) for 5 18s 0d.

23/7/1860

A conveyance of land took place by Reverend John Porter to the Trustees of the Primitive Methodist Connexion at Broadwaters.

9/11/1886

On Sunday evening, 9/11/1886, a census of worshippers in Kidderminster took place.  Out of a total of 5,883 people (or approx. 21% of the population) who worshipped in the Kidderminster area that evening, 49 people attended a service at Broadwaters.

18/1/1889

There was a Deed of Covenant  to surrender a piece of copyhold land by Mr John Nicholls to the Trustees.

2/12/1891

Surrender under the will of John Nicholls decd. of a piece of land called the Forge Piece and admittance of W. Chas. Moore (ironworker) at a sum of 10.

26/5/1894

New Trustees were appointed, the first since 23/7/1860.

3/4/1895

An Equitable Mortgage was executed between the Trustees and the Primitive Methodist Chapel Aid Association, to secure 140, repayable by yearly instalments of 5 10s 0d on 20/3.

1/6/1932

New Trustees were appointed the first since 26/5/1894.

28/5/1943

Declaration by Trustees adopting New Model Deed pursuant to S.17 of Methodist Church Union Act 1929.

21/4/1952

New Trustees were appointed, the first since 1/6/1932.

2/11/1959

The Joseph Rank Benevolent Trust agreed to make a grant of 1,000 towards the chapel extension.

10/11/1959

102 square yards previously to be sold by W Butler & Co to the Church now being given (apart from legal fees.)

10/11/1959

1959 New Trustees were appointed, the first since 21/4/1952.

1/11/1859

Mr Thomas Jones surrendered 118 square yards, part of land called Forge Piece, to the use of John Porter and George Porter (both Methodist preachers) for 5 18s 0d.

23/7/1860

A conveyance of land took place by Reverend John Porter to the Trustees of the Primitive Methodist Connexion at Broadwaters.

9/11/1886

On Sunday evening, 9/11/1886, a census of worshippers in Kidderminster took place.  Out of a total of 5,883 people (or approx. 21% of the population) who worshipped in the Kidderminster area that evening, 49 people attended a service at Broadwaters.

18/1/1889

There was a Deed of Covenant  to surrender a piece of copyhold land by Mr John Nicholls to the Trustees.

2/12/1891

Surrender under the will of John Nicholls decd. of a piece of land called the Forge Piece and admittance of W. Chas. Moore (ironworker) at a sum of 10.

26/5/1894

New Trustees were appointed, the first since 23/7/1860.

3/4/1895

An Equitable Mortgage was executed between the Trustees and the Primitive Methodist Chapel Aid Association, to secure 140, repayable by yearly instalments of 5 10s 0d on 20/3.

1/6/1932

New Trustees were appointed the first since 26/5/1894.

28/5/1943

Declaration by Trustees adopting New Model Deed pursuant to S.17 of Methodist Church Union Act 1929.

21/4/1952

New Trustees were appointed, the first since 1/6/1932.

2/11/1959

The Joseph Rank Benevolent Trust agreed to make a grant of 1,000 towards the chapel extension.

10/11/1959

102 square yards previously to be sold by W Butler & Co to the Church now being given (apart from legal fees.)

10/11/1959

1959 New Trustees were appointed, the first since 21/4/1952.

1/11/1859

Mr Thomas Jones surrendered 118 square yards, part of land called Forge Piece, to the use of John Porter and George Porter (both Methodist preachers) for 5 18s 0d.

23/7/1860

A conveyance of land took place by Reverend John Porter to the Trustees of the Primitive Methodist Connexion at Broadwaters.

9/11/1886

On Sunday evening, 9/11/1886, a census of worshippers in Kidderminster took place.  Out of a total of 5,883 people (or approx. 21% of the population) who worshipped in the Kidderminster area that evening, 49 people attended a service at Broadwaters.

18/1/1889

There was a Deed of Covenant  to surrender a piece of copyhold land by Mr John Nicholls to the Trustees.

2/12/1891

Surrender under the will of John Nicholls decd. of a piece of land called the Forge Piece and admittance of W. Chas. Moore (ironworker) at a sum of 10.

26/5/1894

New Trustees were appointed, the first since 23/7/1860.

3/4/1895

An Equitable Mortgage was executed between the Trustees and the Primitive Methodist Chapel Aid Association, to secure 140, repayable by yearly instalments of 5 10s 0d on 20/3.

1/6/1932

New Trustees were appointed the first since 26/5/1894.

28/5/1943

Declaration by Trustees adopting New Model Deed pursuant to S.17 of Methodist Church Union Act 1929.

21/4/1952

New Trustees were appointed, the first since 1/6/1932.

2/11/1959

The Joseph Rank Benevolent Trust agreed to make a grant of 1,000 towards the chapel extension.

10/11/1959

102 square yards previously to be sold by W Butler & Co to the Church now being given (apart from legal fees.)

10/11/1959

1959 New Trustees were appointed, the first since 21/4/1952.

1/11/1859               

 

Mr Thomas Jones surrendered 118 square yards, part of land called Forge Piece, to the use of John Porter and George Porter (both Methodist preachers) for 5 18s 0d.

 

 

23/7/1860 

              

A conveyance of land took place by Reverend John Porter to the Trustees of the Primitive Methodist Connexion at Broadwaters.

 

 

9/11/1886               

 

On Sunday evening, 9/11/1886, a census of worshippers in Kidderminster took place.  Out of a total of 5,883 people (or approx. 21% of the population) who worshipped in the Kidderminster area that evening, 49 people attended a service at Broadwaters.

 

18/1/1889 

              

There was a Deed of Covenant  to surrender a piece of copyhold land by Mr John Nicholls to the Trustees.

 

2/12/1891               

 

Surrender under the will of John Nicholls decd. of a piece of land called the Forge Piece and admittance of W. Chas. Moore (ironworker) at a sum of 10.

 

26/5/1894               

 

New Trustees were appointed, the first since 23/7/1860.

 

3/4/1895                 

 

An Equitable Mortgage was executed between the Trustees and the Primitive Methodist Chapel Aid Association, to secure 140, repayable by yearly instalments of 5 10s 0d on 20/3.

 

1927

 

May 8.  New font presented by Mr and Mrs G Farmer in memory of their children, John & Kenneth

 

1/6/1932                 

 

New Trustees were appointed the first since 26/5/1894.

 

28/5/1943               

 

Declaration by Trustees adopting New Model Deed pursuant to S.17 of Methodist Church Union Act 1929.

 

1951

 

New lectern presented in memory of Mr J H Betteridge.

 

21/4/1952               

 

New Trustees were appointed, the first since 1/6/1932.

 

2/11/1959               

 

The Joseph Rank Benevolent Trust agreed to make a grant of 1,000 towards the chapel extension.

 

10/11/1959              

 

102 square yards previously to be sold by W Butler & Co to the Church now being given (apart from legal fees.)

 

10/11/1959              

 

New Trustees were appointed, the first since 21/4/1952.

 

1966

 

New extension opened.

 

1971

 

New Communion Rail presented in memory of the Gulson family by Mr and Mrs Frank Gulson.

 

2000

 

A quinquennial inspection strongly advised a thorough inspection of the whole electrical system in Chapel. This inspection highlighted various jobs that were becoming increasingly urgent and it was decided that this would be an opportune time to completely replace the sanctuary lights as well.

 

 

2001

 

A Gift Day was held, the first for many years and over 3,000 was raised to help pay for the electrical work and building repairs that had been done in 2000.

 

2003

 

In order to comply as far as possible with the Disability Discrimination Act, the former Minister's vestry was converted into facilities for the disabled.

 

2004

 

Talks began with our friends from St Oswalds Anglican Church, aimed at forming a Local Ecumenical Partnership.  This LEP is on schedule to be signed in early 2007.

 

2009

 

We celebrated our 150th Anniversary.  Please see elsewhere on this website for further details.

102 square yards previously to be sold by W Butler & Co to the Church now being given (apart from legal fees.)

1959 New Trustees were appointed, the first since 21/4/1952.

102 square yards previously to be sold by W Butler & Co to the Church now being given (apart from legal fees.)

1959 New Trustees were appointed, the first since 21/4/1952.

1/11/1859

Mr Thomas Jones surrendered 118 square yards, part of land called Forge Piece, to the use of John Porter and George Porter (both Methodist preachers) for 5 18s 0d.

23/7/1860

A conveyance of land took place by Reverend John Porter to the Trustees of the Primitive Methodist Connexion at Broadwaters.

9/11/1886

On Sunday evening, 9/11/1886, a census of worshippers in Kidderminster took place.  Out of a total of 5,883 people (or approx. 21% of the population) who worshipped in the Kidderminster area that evening, 49 people attended a service at Broadwaters.

18/1/1889

There was a Deed of Covenant  to surrender a piece of copyhold land by Mr John Nicholls to the Trustees.

2/12/1891

Surrender under the will of John Nicholls decd. of a piece of land called the Forge Piece and admittance of W. Chas. Moore (ironworker) at a sum of 10.

26/5/1894

New Trustees were appointed, the first since 23/7/1860.

3/4/1895

An Equitable Mortgage was executed between the Trustees and the Primitive Methodist Chapel Aid Association, to secure 140, repayable by yearly instalments of 5 10s 0d on 20/3.

1/6/1932

New Trustees were appointed the first since 26/5/1894.

28/5/1943

Declaration by Trustees adopting New Model Deed pursuant to S.17 of Methodist Church Union Act 1929.

21/4/1952

New Trustees were appointed, the first since 1/6/1932.

2/11/1959

The Joseph Rank Benevolent Trust agreed to make a grant of 1,000 towards the chapel extension.

10/11/1959

102 square yards previously to be sold by W Butler & Co to the Church now being given (apart from legal fees.)

10/11/1959

1959 New Trustees were appointed, the first since 21/4/1952.